Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sad, but proud

This morning, I received a couple emails from family members that made me both sad and happy. Sad because of what happened, but happy to hear that my family members are speaking up about it.

So what happened? Well, my aunt and uncle were up in Longville at their cabin last weekend, and they went to church on Sunday. Our family has been going to Longville since my Grandpa was in his 20s or 30s (so the 1940s-ish), and our fam was mostly Catholic and attended the same church in town every time they went up (or at least some of the time – my uncle is the most faithful at attending church regularly). Anyway, so apparently last weekend the priest started talking about politics during his sermon and said something about how the country is moving in the wrong direction and that homosexuality is a “disorder.”

Side note: Another aunt said that the last time she attended mass up there a couple years ago, she almost got up and walked out. She said, "I certainly will never go back. The topic that day was about the all gay highschool opening in NYC. The priest went on & on about the horrors of it."

That's the part that makes me sad. Isn't the priest supposed to be the one encouraging people who attend his services to love each other and not pass judgment? I know there are varying views on what is right and wrong regarding homosexuality, but who is really to say what is right or wrong? Not us. If Christianity is based on love, not hate, then how can this man preach such things that are more based in hate than love? I find it quite horrific that he found it important to teach things that have the potential to fuel the fire of discrimination and hate. People come to him every week for a reason -- probably for some guidance, some insight. And this is what he offers? Now, I wasn't there for the sermon, so I don't know what else he touched on that day. But during this monumentous time in our nation (and our world), I would think there could have been some other messages from politics he could have talked about and related to his overall theme of the day. How about hope? How about the fact that the first black president of the U.S. was about to be sworn in? How about how the nation seems to be coming together right now (young, old, black, white), even if they didn't vote for Obama? It is a time of change, and change is not always a bad thing.

Anyway, I could go on. But instead, I will just share what made me feel happy. Turns out that several of my family members are writing letters to the priest voicing their concerns and hoping to talk with him. Here are two of the letters that have already been sent. While I do not share these exact sentiments, and while I would not have necessarily worded a letter had I written one in the same way, I'm proud of my family for sharing their thoughts with this priest.

**Also, please note that I am not in any way saying that religion is bad or that Christianity is bad. It's just this one priest who disappoints me. I just think that someone who is looked upon as a leader in any group, especially a religious or spiritual group, should not be leading people toward negativity or hate. There is so much hate in the world and so many religious wars and discrimination....it just makes me really sad to hear that someone with such power as a priest would use the time he has during a sermon, when all eyes and ears are on him, to say such things.

1. From my uncle who lives in Longville:

Dear Sir,

I had guests this weekend; they attended your Sunday Mass, listened to your sermon, and then returned to our house appalled at what they heard. They quoted one particular statement you made “homosexuality is a disorder”. This is the second time I’ve had guests, different guests, who have attended your church for Sunday Mass and the second time you have insulted them with your rhetoric on homosexuality.

It is truly inconceivable to me that such sermons by you are necessary. We are living in an age where there are so many more pressing and truly important issues to be addressed. You spend way to much time and energy preaching the cons of homosexuality which discriminates against a small minority of our society. Maybe you (the Catholic Church) should clean up your own house first.

As a Christian, I believe we must be accepting of others whether we agree with their lifestyles or not. We are not to judge our brothers and sisters, rather, we must accept the fact that we are all with sin and we must leave the judging to God.

The pulpit is no place or time for the radical few, like you, who wave the flag of religion to dictate this agenda which clearly violates the Good Book. Now you, along with many evangelicals, may chose to throw Leviticus at this hot topic however context is then the ultimate question at hand. You’re Preaching, seems to me, only divides us all and creates more and more resentment in our society. Not a very Christian way of thinking in my mind. This equivalent of stoning is just plain wrong.

I await your response.


2. From one of my cousins:

To the priest who gave the sermon on Sun., Jan. 18th, 2009:

It has been brought to my attention that you saw fit to include anti-gay remarks in your sermon last Sunday. Yes, it seems that word DOES travel fast as I live way down here in St. Paul. I'm wondering what would ever make you think that such behavior is appropriate. Though I do not claim to be an expert on religion, I grew up attending Catholic schools and churches and I have always thought that it was the priest's job to help spread God's love into the lives of others. Now I can't think for the life of me how anti-gay rhetoric would fit into that task. Please enlighten me.

Doesn't the bible quote Jesus in saying that we are not to judge one another? Are members of the clergy exempt from this? I will say again thatI am no expert on religion or anything else for that matter...and clearly neither are you. Now I admit that it is somewhat hypocritical of me to express my disappointment with you in this message...I might come off as judgemental which is exactly what I'm accusing you of being. I'm actually a little frustrated with myself as I wish I could just deem your behavior as small town, small-minded ignorance and not even give it a second thought. But there's something bigger going on here. People look to you for spiritual guidance yet instead of strengthening their faith you poison it with words that promote hatred and division. I don't know for sure if their is a god and a satan or a heaven and a hell but I do believe that there is good and evil...and frankly, sir, you're leaning toward the latter.

All my life I have visited Longville as I have family who live there or own cabins in the area. I have many fond childhood memories of the turtle races, street dances, and Frosty's ice cream shop. However, after hearing of your recent sermon, my thoughts of Longville have turned to disappointment. Your actions reflect on your congregation and, sadly, on the town of Longville. In fact, these actions are really part of a long history of wrong doing by the church as a whole. It certainly has hurt my faith and that of countless others. If we can't turn to our church for unconditional love and all around goodness then to whom can we turn? I'm listening.

All I can do now is hope that you have the decency to read and consider this entire message. I can further hope that you choose to publicly retract your statement that homosexuality is a "disorder". I understand that we all make mistakes and none of us are perfect...I know I'm sure not. I don't know if I believe everything that I've been taught about Jesus Christ...but I DO believe that if we all strive to be more"Christ-like" then there would be far fewer problems in the world. So what do you think Christ would do? Please do the right thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay I'm commenting!
Yeah, I super-hate the crazy people that seem to give Christianity a bad name. I say love one another. Cheers to your family for speaking up!

...sensible of shoe said...

Love thy neighbor!

Heidi said...

Leni,
Fun to see a comment from you! I laughed a little about how you "super-hate" people but say we should love one another. :)

Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, very hypocritical of me. Oh well. You know what I mean :)

Heidi said...

I didn't mean it to call you out, just thought it was funny. :) And yes, definitely know what you mean!

Kate said...

Amen to that. Thanks for voicing this online, Heids. I am saddened when I hear others judge and discriminate as well, however it is uplifting to see people, especially family, take a stand and speak their minds. Love you!