Thursday, January 08, 2009

Let's go to the movies...

This is my third week of winter break, and I have been using it wisely. Don't get too jealous. I have been working 20 hours a week, but I have also been able to catch up on more fun things since I don't have any class or clinic work to do at home. These fun splurges have included:

- watching reality tv shows (The Bachelor, Biggest Loser, Mama's Boys)
- staying up late and watching Letterman just long enough to catch the Top 10
- sleeping in!
- baking for fun
- finishing my scrapbook from our road trip out west last year
- painting a picture for Eric for his bday (it's not done yet, but in progress -- it's been so nice getting back into painting again)
- going to lots of movies!

Seriously, I have seen four movies in the theater and many more on DVD or online (with our new Netflix subscription and the "watch now" capability). Here is a partial list of the movies, along with some commentary.


Slumdog Millionaire: Loved it! Very different and just a good movie that should win awards. Just saw it tonight and would highly recommend it. I had no idea what it was about prior to seeing it, which I think is a great way to go into a movie.

Doubt: Great acting, but left things up in the air too much for me. I wanted more info! But would still recommend it and think the acting is superb.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: This is just a great story. Very original, amazing makeup and effects. Loved it, but it was a little long. Sit on the aisle so you can escape and rescue your bladder if you need to!

Marley & Me: Oh man, if you have ever had a pet that you felt was part of the family, please go see this movie and bring along a box of Kleenex. I cried more in this movie than I have for any movie in a long time. I read the book a couple years ago, and I didn't really expect the movie to be as good, but they did a really good job with it.

After Innocence: This is a documentary about people who have been proven innocent due to DNA testing after spending years in prison. It was eye-opening and caused Eric and I to just sit and talk about it for quite awhile afer watching this movie. Not a super light topic, but very worthwhile.

Jesus Camp: Another documentary (we like documentaries!) that can inspire some interesting conversations. The title kind of tells you what it's about, but what was interesting/surprising to me was the way that Christianity, etc. was taught at the camp (kind of using scare tactics...well, I don't know if that's the right term...). I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it, so just see it. Then we can talk.

Definitely, Maybe: Cute little, somewhat predictable romantic comedy. :) Watch it while eating ice cream and brownies.

Surfwise: This is a very interesting documentary about a man who raised his large family (9 kids!) in a camper trailer and traveled around and surfed all the time. This is one interesting family. Read an article on npr about them.

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: I love the Narnia movies. This is another good one. :)

27 Dresses: I watched this today with Stacy while keeping the little prego lady on bedrest company. It was a cute girly movie, but not super predictable. I'd watch it again (especially since I bought it at Target for $10 since I didn't want to pay the $5 rental fee at Blockbuster, and we needed it for today and Netflix doesn't let you order movies overnight.)

That's all for now. I've probably gained weight from sitting on my butt and drinking pop and eating popcorn and Reeses Pieces. But it was worth it. I feel well-rested.

No comments: