Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Family Stone

From We're engaged!
Not only is The Family Stone a great movie, but it is also what I'm about to become a part of!

Eric proposed on Saturday night before taking me out to a lovely dinner at the Como Park Conservatory. (They had a special Valentine's dinner event -- normally, you can't eat there, but we got to sit right between a Cocoa tree and a water fountain.) In case you haven't heard the fun story, I'll share:

After getting ready to go out to dinner, we exchanged gifts. I made Eric a snazzy card, and he had wrapped my present hours earlier -- it sat waiting for me on the dining room table for all that time. So first, I opened a shoe box that contained a ticket stub from our first "fake" date to see Superbad (the most romantic movie ever). He is quite the sentimental guy. :) Then I saw a little ring box....And right when I opened the box, Eric said, "I made that." And I was like "what?" And he said, "Yeah, I made it and wanted to use it to ask you to marry me." Next thing I knew, he was next to me and down on one knee asking me to marry him. I quickly said "Of course," and then "What do you mean you made it?" There was a lot of "Really?" and kisses and hugs in there too. :) It all went too fast. Now I want him to do it again.

About the ring:

Eric had mentioned a while ago about how he had thought about doing something different for an engagement ring -- more like a fashion/casual ring instead of THE ring. But I never imagined he would MAKE a ring! So instead of buying an engagement ring, he researched ways to make a ring. And then he figured we'd go out shopping for wedding rings later together to make sure we get what we want, etc. He ended up learning about how sailors used to spend their spare time making rings out of quarters or other coins by hammering around the edges and then drilling through the middle. My ring is made out of a Euro (which he got out of my piggy bank from when I studied abroad) and it has a little diamond embedded in it, and then there are two more little decorative indent-things. I think it's pretty freakin' creative and also a little crazy that he has spent the last two months making a ring while I was in class or working.

What a thoughtful, dedicated, creative, loving guy! Thank you, Eric! I'm really excited to become your wife!

So, do you want to see some pictures from our night? Just click on the picture or link below.

We're engaged!



5 comments:

Jeff and Alyse Paull said...

we are so so so excited for yall!! what a creative thing for that man to do! can't wait to see you guys and celebrate...2 1/2 days!!! whoooo hooooooo

Katy said...

No way! That's such wonderful news. I"m happy for the both of you. And love the creativity!

...sensible of shoe said...

Congratulations!! Awesome!!

The Ritchies said...

so somehow the picture never made it to my email - so i am glad to see the ring here - it is so cool!! can't wait to see you guys to congratulate in person (sad that we have not done so yet!) and in conclusion... YAHOO!!! you're engaged!!!

Heidi said...

Thanks everyone! We're super excited!