Thursday, May 31, 2007

Distractions!

I had such great ambitions tonight of getting a lot of freelance done. I have about 12 pages of Web content to do for Clarian (the company I used to work for -- now I just get projects here and there to help save $$ for grad school), and now I'll have to do it this weekend. Oh well...it's supposed to be rainy and stormy AGAIN this weekend anyway. So then maybe I won't feel so bad having to stay in. But anyway, back to the reason why I didn't get my work done: a little thing called Facebook. Man, social networking sites like that are addicting! I just joined today, as Stacy so pleasantly found out at work, and I'm not sure how much I'll update it, but setting it up and reading what people write about you and then seeing the pictures people post with you in them....it just makes getting anything else done very difficult. I might need to turn off the notifications -- they email you every time any change happens. I've had a myspace profile for a while too, but I don't update it too much. I mean, come on, people, is a girl in her mid-20s supposed to update a blog, myspace page and facebook and then also keep up with emails, text messages and voicemails? When did we all get so technologically advanced? I'll tell you when....it was back in 1998 when IM became popular. I remember sitting in the library (cause we didn't have Internet service at home) and IMing with my friends (who were sitting comfortably in their own homes). But the big-time IMing really happened during my freshman and sophomore years of college. It was how all the high school friends kept in touch during college. I'd have a witty away message up while I was in class, and then when I'd get back, I'd check to see if I had any messages from friends while also making sure my illegally downloaded songs came through onto my computer ok. Ahhh...that's where it all began. Personally, I like the blog thing. It's a little more personal -- more anecdotal, if you will. It's not just a place where you can browse around spying on old classmates to see what they're up to now (like myspace -- although that is super fun sometimes, esp now that a bunch of my classmates from WHS are all pregnant and married and some are on baby #3!).

With that, I am off to read and go to bed. I've given up on my night of productivity. At least I did clean my apartment a bit and take the dog out for a long walk. I'll work on making the big bucks this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hardly used email, this very foreign concept, until I started college in 1999. Without email we probably wouldn't have re-connected and become such good friends!

- Bill

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Heidi! I only recently got mine started like a month or two ago. I'll be checking yours regularly, so check mine too : nuttersmark.com

You do freelance web work? That's actually how I've been making my living as of late. Let me know if you want to get in on some projects :-).

Who's pregnant and who has kids from WHS?