I recently joined the Twin Cities Women's Choir with my friend Angie. It's fun to be singing regularly again, but I just need to make some comments here. Consider this the "truth table." What happens at the truth table stays at the truth table.
Okay, so first a little background. Ang and I sang in choir in high school and were used to being section leaders. Then we sang at All State with really talented girls (everyone had to audition to be in it). I definitely didn't feel like the best singer there -- it was a kind of intimidating group to be in, and sometimes I felt like it was a fluke that I ended up there. However, I find myself feeling kind of snotty sometimes in this new choir. Not because I know the music any better or think I'm better, but because of the middle school-type goofing around and wasting of time that goes on. If we're using my free time to do this, I'd like to be productive and have fun at the same time. But some of these ladies are just like those kids from middle school who craved a lot of attention or laughed too loud at people's jokes. It's like I'm coming to that sad realization that the groups you're put in as a kid (either advanced or "regular") pave the way for how you behave in social settings for the rest of your life. Then again, the All State choir back in the day had some divas who thought they were much better than everyone else. At least in this choir people are down-to-earth and nice. Some of them are just stuck in that weird mindset where everyone probably was at one point in their lives (but usually it comes around adolescence and then only reappears when the timing is appropriate or when you're drunk).
PROPOSED SOLUTION: I need to morph the two types of people from the two choirs to form one group of women who love to sing and want to have fun, but they also are serious about learning the music, singing the right notes, blending in with everyone else and not wasting everyone's time. Is that possible? Ang?
The other thing is e-mail. I love e-mail. It's useful, quick and convenient. BUT, when you send people 10 e-mails a day, that's a little much. Maybe you're overdoing it. As Ang says, "e-mail is the worst thing that could have happened to this group."
ANYWAY..... besides my venting session here, I am enjoying singing again and plan on staying with it through the spring season. We are performing this weekend at The Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul along with some local musicians. It's a lot of woman power music -- a celebration of women, if you will.
Our spring concert is performed on both May 4 and 5, and it's called "Divas & Desserts." There's a silent auction, lovely desserts, coffee, tea, wine and of course, lovely music coming from the crazy, dysfunctional (I mean beautiful and talented) choir. Check out our performance listings here.
Honestly, we don't sound half bad. I'm probably just being a snob.
I'm done now... I promise. Thanks for listening.
ELC Field Day 2015
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment