Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mindful highs and lows

For my MBSR class, I was supposed to keep track of pleasant and unpleasant experiences this week and document if I was fully present for the experience, how it felt, how it feels to reflect on the experiences, etc. Ummm...well, I didn't document them, but I did try to mentally keep track. So I thought I'd try to jot them down here as my usual highs and lows of the week.

So, here goes....

Highs:
  • Getting my hair cut! I got about 5-6 inches cut off, and now I'm sassier than ever. :)
  • Taking a quiz on Tuesday in class. I know...taking a quiz? What is wrong with me? I felt very smart and like I knew my stuff about how bilingualism affects academic development. 
  • Skyping with my dad and Beth last night and hearing my dad tell me about how he stopped in the lobby of the hospital where he works (as a director of a department) to stop and compliment the nice man playing piano. He then went on to sing All the Way by Frank Sinatra with the man. That made me happy that I have a dad who just seizes the day like that. More people (especially big shot directors and managers) should do that. 
  • Meeting some neighbors while shoveling my driveway and helping this woman get unstuck from the alley. I love our neighborhood.
  • Sitting in the living room and chatting with my husband for about an hour last night. Just me, him and Indy catching up on life. 
  • Doing yoga before bed once this week. I know I was supposed to do it more frequently. Well, the one time I did it, I loved it! Listening to a CD that guides you through the poses is way better than trying to a) do it on your own or b) watch a DVD. Love the CD. Love it.
  • Getting two books in the mail from Amazon. I love ordering books, even if they are for school. (Nerd!) The books: The Late Homecomer, which I will read for fun and for school (I have to do some cultural awareness activities for one of my classes, and this will count) and An Advanced Review of Speech-Language Pathology, which will help give me some structure for studying for comps and the Praxis Exam (which is a requirement for getting my SLP license).
Lows:
  • Having to shovel twice this week due to more ridiculous amounts of snow. 
  • Being worried about being towed due to Minneapolis changing their snow emergency parking rules. So to avoid any confusion and a potential towing bill, I parked in a pay lot today. Boo. I hate paying to park on campus...even if it's only $3.75...the cheapest lot around.
  • Still not being able to go back to my practicum site after the Office of General Counsel at the U of M has sat on my contract for two weeks and not signed it or approved it. Frustrating. While it has been nice to not have to drive to Hopkins every day, I would like to learn some things about treating adults with dementia, dysphagia, TBI, etc. before I have to take comps in April. 
  • Finding out that comps (our comprehensive exam that I have to take in order to graduate) is earlier than I thought it'd be. It's probably April 2. Less than two months to study!

No comments: