Monday, February 08, 2010

Before & After: Shelf

According to my husband, our summer kitchen that we've been using as a multi-purpose room (for cutting wood, brewing beer, sewing, painting, etc.) is beginning to look more and more like a girlie craft room and less and less like a workshop. I think there is still room for both, but my side of the room with my refinished desk is starting to look super cute and will hopefully inspire me to spend more time being creative in there.

Are you ready to see what I did with this shelf I bought at ValuThrift a couple months ago for like $1.59?

Here are a couple "before" (somewhat in progress) pics. The shelf had this lovely country feel to it with navy paint and dark stain. Not really my style...
 
 












So, I slapped on one coat of oil-based primer and then two coats of latex Antique White paint, and voila!

 
 
Then, I added two Story People prints (Her Laughter was a gift from my friend Laura back in college, and I just got Ordinary Life using a gift card from our wedding - love them), a jar filled with spools of thread and a couple ribbons wrapped around the little hooks/knobs on the bottom part of the shelf (I'm hoping to use those for more ribbon or other hang-able objects later on):

 
So, now this is my side of the room with my matching desk and shelf. I'm inspired.

No comments: