July 17, 2008
Day 1 of the RRR is over, and I am safely sitting in camp in my tent...exhausted. Partly due to the beer I just drank with about 20 others from the ride. Partly due to the fact that I rode 80 miles today...partly in the rain, and partly against a strong head wind. I worked hard today. I feel good, but I'm curious to find out how I'll feel tomorrow morning when I get back on my bike again to do about 70 miles through lots of hills. I hear it's the toughest day of the ride, so I'm a little nervous.
Highlights of the day:
- Felt great for the first 45 miles, then had to stop and wait 3.5 hours at a church in Miesville because there was severe weather (thunder, lightning, pouring rain). My shoes were (and still are) soaked, but the rest of me wasn't so bad. I hear that sticking newspaper in your shoes is supposed to dry them out, so I'm trying that out tonight.
- Leading about 8 or so riders approximately 7 miles along Highway 61 against a strong head wind. I was tired! So then I dropped to the back of the group and finished the day with one other rider (Jeremy) and we alternated who was leading.
- Opening ceremony was emotional. I can't help tearing up every time I think about all that this ride is about. I wish more people (friends, fam, etc.) would come volunteer, ride, etc. because it really is such a fun time and everyone is so nice. It's like summer camp for adults, and it's for a good cause.
- Katie's pit crew were gangsters and police -- very cute! (Note: Katie's outfit reminded me of her circa 1989 -- long black dress with white polka dots and a white girly hat with a flower on it).
- Riding into camp was gorgeous tonight. The trees and ground covering were so emerald green, it looked like a fake backdrop -- amazing!
- Riding along the Canon River Trail was pretty, too. I stopped a couple times just to take pics.
- Survive tomorrow without injury or too much pain.
- Remember to get in the massage line in camp (after the ride) early!
Some pics from Day 1:
Stopping at a sign outside of Lake City (our first campsite) to take a photo. We were about 5 miles from our final destination, so I had ridden about 75 miles at that point.
Katie and me out for a beer with the team (we look a little tired here, I think). :)
Lake Pepin - view from our campsite. It was so peaceful and beautiful.



No comments:
Post a Comment