This past Sunday, a Miss Stacy Ritchie and I got into the holiday spirit by baking five, yes five, different kinds of Christmas cookies/treats. We made buckeyes, peanut blossoms, ginger snaps (minus the snap :)), cinnamon roll-ups and snickers bars. Well, the snickers are half done. We have to finish them next weekend. Stacy, how does next Sunday work for you?
It was such a fun way to get in the holiday mood. We had Christmas carols playing in the background and lots of laughs as we tried not to forget ingredients or forget to set the timer on the oven. Good idea, Stace!
Stacy also pointed out to me that my family apparently is really into making candy bars -- I mean, I have the recipe for butterfingers, nut goodies and snickers (which didn't come from my family - thank Kathy in Cali for that one). And then there's the lifelong debate of whether you call things "bars" or "treats" or "squares." In Indy, my friends (you know who you are) would always make fun of me for saying "rice crispy bars." According to them, they're rice crispy treats or rice crispy squares. Well, up here we call everything bars. If you're planning a potluck for work, there are bound to be several people who sign up to bring "bars" -- that's it. Of course, when they show up, they'll each bring different kinds of bars -- lemon bars, Special K bars, rice crispy bars, seven layer bars. See? It just rolls off the tongue.
You know what else this brings me to? Hotdish. Yes, it's that time of year -- it's cold out and all you want to eat is hot food that warms you right up. Kind of comfort food, if you will. Does anyone else outside of Minnesota know what "hotdish" is? Nope. It's called casserole in Indy and elsewhere. Me? I just made a kick-ass tator tot hotdish for dinner the other night, and it's wonderfully delicious. In honor of hotdish, here's a little photo for you straight from the Minnesota State Fair (taken in August this year).

If you look really close, you'll see "UFF DA!" another Minnesotan phrase...You didn't know my blog was so educational, now did you?

3 comments:
umm...that is MRS Stacy Ritchie my friend. No longer a Miss am I! And yes, I don't believe I have any conflicts next Sunday - so that works for me. By then we'll even have a tree up!! Yay!
Oops! Sorry about that! MRS. it is! I don't think I'll be a MRS. for a long time. I guess I don't know a whole lot of MRS. our age or at least I don't use that terminology often. :) From now on, I will refer to you as Mrs. Ritchie. How do you like that? ha!
Well, thinking about it, I guess I know a Mrs. McIntyre, Mrs. Harvey, Mrs. Drake and Mrs. Ritchie who are all around our age. There's also a soon-to-be Mrs. McCammack. I guess I need to get with the program -- not in getting married, just knowing people's appropriate titles.
damn straight you do!!
Post a Comment