Thursday, November 09, 2006

Blue blocker lady


So...I was at the dog park the other day with Indy. We had spent almost an hour there, so Indy was getting pretty tired at this point but she wasn't quite ready to leave yet (and neither was I -- it was a beautiful day). Off in the distance, I see two dalmations. Apparently, Indy saw them, too, and being the social butterfly that she is, she ran over to greet them and play. I haven't seen dalmations in years, so I was thinking, "oh cute...dalmations."

I walk over to follow Indy, who is already running along with the smaller of the two dalmations, and as most people do at dog parks, I was going to say hi to the owner (who I might mention was a 60s-ish woman wearing blue blockers and a hiking/fishing hat). So I'm about to comment on how pretty her dogs are, when she shouts (no exaggeration), "Is that your labrador retriever?!"

I respond with a normal-sounding "Yeah."

"Can you get her off my dogs?!" she shouts, growing more agitated with every syllable.

At that I was confused and shocked. I glanced over at Indy and the blue blocker lady's dogs. All tails were wagging. They were just running along and playing like normal dogs do at dog parks.

"Aren't they just playing?" I ask.

"No!" blue blocker lady screams. "I've never seen a dog play like that! I've been bitten by labrador retrievers and so have my dogs! Get her OFF!!!"

At that, my jaw was probably on the ground. It took all I had not to respond with a snotty remark, like "why did you bring your dogs to DOG PARK if you didn't want them to PLAY WITH OTHER DOGS?" Instead I just kind of gave her an odd look and called Indy, who had already developed ADD and moved on to another couple dogs to play with. I think she could sense that they came from an odd upbringing. I totally wanted to yell at her -- I can now empathize with some of those parents who get mad at each other at T-Ball games when someone bad-mouths their kid.

After that, I made friends with some other owners by telling them about crazy blue blocker lady and her dalmations. Ahhhh....isn't it great how gossip brought us together?

So now I ask you, how could you be intimidated by this cute dog? She wouldn't harm a fly (not on purpose anyway -- maybe only if she tripped cause she's clumsy or if she thought she was biting her bone but missed and bit your hand).

Just a quick final comment: I think that Christopher Guest should make his next mockumentary about dog parks. It could be a follow-up to "Best in Show."

1 comment:

Kate said...

This is the second time today that I have heard the term "mockumentary" and been involved in a conversation regarding Christopher Guests' films. I'd never heard the term before. =) And your baby is ADORABLE!!! AND you're one great sister! Love checking out what's going on in your life. Ciao baby!