Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mid-August update

The past few weeks have been busy, but things are finally slowing down as summer is coming to a close. I finished clinicals last week and was told that I did a good job. One of my supervisors told me that if I decide to work with kids some day that I would "rock." :) I'm looking forward to another semester with kids this fall, and then exploring the world of adult speech and language next spring. In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of these restful two weeks I have before classes start up again. Well, I'm still working 20 hours a week at my assistantship, but there are no clients to plan for, and I have some fun extracurricular activities going on.

Last weekend, Eric and I hosted a BBQ at the new house and had about 20 people or so here eating brats, hot dogs, pasta salad, beans, veggies, homemade cookies made by yours truly and a deeeeee-licious ice cream cake dessert made by my mom. It was amazing -- people were raving and comparing it to DQ (only better). I will get the recipe and post it for you all so you can make others as happy as Eric and I continue to be every time we eat the leftovers. (If I gained like 10 pounds this week, it was because I ate a lot of leftovers for all my meals.)

So my big treat for the end of the summer: we are heading to the boundary waters tomorrow! Well, we're driving up to Eric's parents' house in Grand Marais and staying over night tomorrow. Then we're getting up early Thursday morning to go buy fishing licenses and leeches (for fish bait), and then we're heading to our entry point: Brant Lake (special shout out to Alyse for that one :)). The boundary waters are basically a bunch of lakes that form the boundary between MN and Canada. We'll put our canoe in (along with all our camping gear) at Brant Lake and then paddle, portage and set up our camp sites each day. We'll also swim, fish, read, relax, take in all the wildlife and beautiful scenery and just be happy to be out of cell phone range and away from work and just being in the wilderness. I'm really looking forward to it, as it is something I've always wanted to do (since high school, I guess, which was when I first learned about it). Eric is a seasoned boundary waters camper/canoer/etc. so don't worry -- he'll be guiding us and helping me perfect my paddling skills.

We'll be back on Tuesday, 8/26, so I'll update again after that!

For now, I leave you with a picture: Indy wearing Eric's Twins t-shirt:

1 comment:

The Ritchies said...

you are on your way now - but have fun and take lots of pictures - can't wait to hear about your trip!