Thursday, April 05, 2007

I Believe

These are the lyrics to a song that my brother and I performed at my uncle Richard's funeral yesterday. He had been battling cancer for a little over a year now -- initially, he was only given a few months to live. So it was pretty impressive that he made it this long. Singing at the funeral was a hard thing to do, but I think my aunt Jean was glad to have us do it -- this was her and Richard's favorite song. I had never heard it before, but I think it's a simple song of hope -- no matter what your beliefs are.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls,
a flower grows.
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night,
a candle glows.
I believe for everyone who goes astray,
someone will come to show the way.
I believe,
I believe.
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer
will still be heard.
I believe that someone in the great somewhere
hears every word.
Every time I hear a new born baby cry,
or touch a leaf or see the sky,
then I know why
I believe.
Every time I hear a new born baby cry,
or touch a leaf or see the sky,
then I know why
I believe.

2 comments:

Kate said...

That's beautiful! Do you know the composer?

Heidi said...

Composer....hmmm...not sure. But this song has been sung by many people in lots of different styles. Elvis Presley, Gladys Knight and the Pips, others I can't remember. It was kind of hard to find online, but Rob found it.