Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Never gonna be jello

I went out to dinner tonight with my aunt Katie (who is more like a cousin/friend) at a great little place near me called "Fat Lorenzo's." Grrrreat hoagies.....and they have gelato, which I didn't try this time and I'll have to try next time. Anyway, so Katie and I were talking about exes and boys and girls and relationships and all that great stuff. And I'm trying to decide what to think about the fact that this came out of my mouth: "I want to meet a guy who is normal, who looks forward to talking and relaxing with me at the end of the day and who goes out to dinner with me and doesn't even think about looking at other girls." I mean, is it sad that that is what I'm looking for? Does it mean that I'm pretty pessimistic about guys not even living up to that standard? Or does it just say, "I'm over dating someone just to date and I'm really okay by myself until someone who is more serious comes along"?

During our discussions, I also mentioned a chat I had about a month or so ago with my cousin Jess. She and I pretty much think that we have had such great role models of men in our lives (our dads and uncles are just really great people -- strong men, comfortable with showing their emotions, have strong convictions, very loving and caring people) that it's really hard to find someone our age to date in a serious manner because no one has stacked up to the standard set by our male family members. I'm not complaining at all and this isn't meant to be a blow to any of my guy friends out there. However, this does make a girl's dating life a little challenging. It's like you meet someone and think they're pretty great, but really, they don't stack up. I know what's possible, and I'm just not seeing it. It's like in "My Best Friend's Wedding" when Julia Roberts tells Cameron Diaz "You're creme brulee. He's looking for jello. " And Cameron says "I could be jello." And then Julia says back, "You're never gonna be jello."

No comments: