Here's Indy supervising us as we hung the Christmas lights last weekend. This was last Saturday.
A week ago today, last Sunday, Indy had a seizure. It was so sad to see her so vulnerable and scared as she lost control of her body for about 5 minutes. Fortunately, I recognized the signs of the seizure pretty quickly (since Taffy, my childhood dog, had seizures when she was alive). So we just tried to make sure she was safe as she was going through it and we tried to calm her down by petting her and talking to her.
She made it through it and then slept for pretty much the rest of the night. The next day, I took her in to the vet, where she had blood drawn to check to see if she had any liver, kidney or other infections. Thankfully, she doesn't have any crazy infections. But the vet did say that Indy probably has Epilepsy. She may or may not have more seizures during her lifetime - we will just wait and see (and keep our fingers crossed that she will not have anymore!). They don't recommend meds right now. They say that the side effects of the meds are really not worth it unless she is really having a lot of seizures (like multiple seizures per month). So we will just wait and see what happens and hope for the best.
We love this dog. She is pretty much the greatest ever. We let her sleep in our bed for a couple nights in a row after this incident. And just about every day Eric or I tell her to not have anymore seizures.
Right now, she is curled up between us on the futon while the Vikings game is on. Life is good. And Indy is back to normal - earlier she stole half of my Twizzler, chewed off the end of a spool of thread, happily played with an empty 20-oz bottle of coke, intimidated a squirrel in the backyard and pranced around with a bone in her mouth.
So tonight give your pets a hug and an extra treat! What would we do without them?
ELC Field Day 2015
11 years ago

3 comments:
I feel your pain...Gertie (my beloved Great Dane), tore her ACL a few weeks ago...she is going to Iowa State University to get a consultation on Thursday and the will be scheduled for surgery after the first of the year. I am so worried about her...she was my first baby...I hate seeing her in pain! Let me know how Indy does!
Lindsay
Oh, poor Gertie! I hope the surgery goes well. Keep me posted!
Poor Indy! I've got Coda on the couch next to me now. Give Indy a big hug for me (and one from Coda!). And then give yourselves one too.
Post a Comment