Well, some people say that you should never talk about politics, sex or money with friends and family. I guess I'm breaking that rule today, not to be offensive, but just because I think it's important to learn about the different candidates, because I like hearing different opinions and because I would like to continue reading, talking and learning about the candidates before the upcoming election.
Lately, I’ve been posting links to articles and blogs about Palin on my facebook account because they are things that I have found insightful. I know that other friends and family might have different opinions and might vote based on different issues that they find important, and I definitely respect that. I actually like hearing other opinions and learning what issues are important to other people. I love my friends and family and don’t want to disrespect anyone.
Since one of my family members recently asked what’s so bad about Palin, I’ll give you my opinion, which comes from reading articles and blogs, watching interviews, talking with others, trying to learn as much as possible and trying to find the facts and not just opinion pieces (just fyi, snopes.com has some good info about all the candidates—they list any rumors, etc. and then tell you whether they are actually fact or myth). Anyway, here is my opinion…
Before the candidates had announced their running mates, I figured I’d most likely vote for Obama; however, I didn’t think it’d be so bad if McCain ended up winning. After all, in the past, he has been more socially liberal and hadn’t always voted strictly on party lines. However, when he announced that his running mate would be Palin, McCain seemed to change—it seemed that he was bending more toward the conservative right and using Palin to appeal to those who might not have initially liked him. For me, it had the opposite effect.
What don’t I like about Palin?
- She doesn’t seem open to answering questions from reporters or the general public unless she is prepped/scripted.
- Her RNC speech seemed more attacking than actually stating what she would like to do.
- Her comment about community organizers was offensive. People who take on such roles really do a lot for communities, have to be leaders and do make positive changes in communities that need it.
- She has very limited experience. What executive experience she does have is for a town of about 5,000-7,000 (smaller than many mid-sized colleges) and for a state with a population of about 650,000. That experience has also been in a state that has a huge surplus. Our country has a huge deficit—so I question how easy the transition would be if she ended up having to take over the presidency and handle the budget. From what I read from a local Wasilla resident and active participant in the city council, Palin had an administrator doing most of her work. Additionally, she hired many high school friends to take on important jobs that were well above their actual experience.
- What she says and what she has actually done doesn’t seem to add up. For example, she claims that she is “anti-pork” regarding the earmarked spending, but she has asked for more earmarks per capita than any other governor. It seems that she spends a lot instead of investing.
Overall, the issues that are most important to me just don’t line up with what Palin stands for. So it wouldn’t make sense for me to support her. For example:
- I’m pro choice, she’s pro life
- I’m pro gay rights/marriage, she has supported same sex benefits in the work place but opposes other gay rights
- I am a fan of universal health care (or at least exploring options so that more people, specifically children, are able to have health care coverage), she is not
- I am for closer attention to the quality of public education and for extending it to preschool age, which is something Obama is for. Not sure exactly where Palin stands on this.
- I am also a bigger fan of exploring other types of energy and not just drilling in Alaska or off-shore, and Palin is all about drilling.
So there you have it. I continue to read as much as I can to learn more about the candidates because I would really like to be as informed as possible. If you have any comments, please feel free to leave them! I welcome intelligent discussions!
Some links within snopes that tells fact/fiction and explains all known info:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/palin.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/mccain.asp

8 comments:
ohhh heidi....i wont comment :)
sorry that posted early....
i wont comment not because i'm pro palin, but because people get so hot headed with politics, minds are already made up, and it doesn't matter if you're looking for unbiased information...you'll find information from a "credible" source to say what you want to hear. (not that you did that, but in general ) :)
I think you're right. Some people do that, and that's too bad. But it is actually very interesting to read both sides and find blogs and articles, etc. that stem from both sides so that you can learn and gain your own understanding. I just think it's so important to do your own research so you feel like you are making an informed decision. Anyway, one credible source is Snopes. It's a good place to check out after you've heard news stories because it dispells rumors and tells you what is true or false and then explains the whole back story, etc. so you can understand how the rumor got started and what actually happened. Anyway, if you're interested, it's a cool site to check out.
you're so cute, i like how much you like politics and are big on educating yourself:) miss you sisterrrr
Thanks. :) Alyse, it's good to hear from you! I'm glad you're alive and surviving your night job! I have talked with Jeff more than you!
Yikes! You're a brave soul. I have to agree w/Alyse. Political discussions between differing sides gets nowhere. Sad, but true.
Love that you're interested in the process and people, though.
Good luck in finding some truth!
Carol O., from the opposing side :-)
Thanks, Carol! It's nice to talk about different opinions, but I agree -- it's hard to do that sometimes without taking it too personally or getting emotional, etc. Anyway...hope I didn't offend anyone! For me, it just helps me to write things down and think and talk and read....
I like the way you think!
Post a Comment